Sunday, February 5, 2012

Measured In Sugar

I failed to do much of anything except finally make the next thing in my bread baking book, cinnamon rolls! The only thing I haven't made so far is the brioche. I really wanted the right pan for making that instead of baking it in a regular loaf. It might not even be appropriate to do the latter. I'll get back around to it eventually.

I lazed around all morning until I finally got myself off my rump in the afternoon to start the dough for the cinnamon rolls. There are probably a billion different recipes for cinnamon rolls out there. I almost tried making them before my bread book. Not sure what prevented me from doing so. Might have been the long list of engagements and events in my planner, yeah right.

The recipe called for the sugar and butter to be creamed. Because my house is kind of cold the logic to let the butter reach room temperature would not work. I softened it fairly well in the microwave but it still was a bit tricky to work into the sugar. When I whisked in a cold egg the mixture became a clumpy creamy mess. I try not to worry much because the kneading helps work most things in. But if there are butter clumps, those might stay. One interesting ingredient was the addition of lemon extract or lemon zest. I was half tempted to leave it out but after kneading the dough for about 15 minutes, sometimes I work up a sweat, the smell was wonderful. The lemon oils gave the dough a unique smell. I knew it would be simply good from that.

So the dough is supposed to be about 77 degrees after kneading but my kitchen is too cold and my ingredients a tad cold too. I just had to pray that the warm living room would kick the yeast into gear. It kind of doubled by 2 hours later but probably would have done better if the dough was warmer after kneading. I then rolled it out into a rectangle and spread about 1/2 cup of cinnamon sugar on the dough. This was rolled into a log and then sliced. I would make a nicer rectangle next time so the ends aren't so malformed. Then they sat for another 1 1/2 hours to rise some more. Here they are before baking.

Cinnamon Rolls Prebake 2

They looked tasty already. Supposedly they were supposed to double in size but I couldn't tell if they had gotten that far. I figured there would be considerably oven spring once they hit the hot air. I was right about that.

Cinnamon Rolls Baked 2

I was so excited to pull them from the oven. I stared at them for awhile admiring the swirls and colors. I was lost in the sweet folds of golden brown bread. The smells of cinnamon and sugar wafting to my nose. Just your typical euphoria that comes with baking delicious wonders. After cooling for 10 minutes I glazed the rolls. This is where they look amazing and you wish you could eat one for yourself.

Glazed Cinnamon Rolls

Are you okay still?

Glazed Cinnamon Rolls 2

Okay probably not anymore. I ate two of the small ones for testing purposes and were great. I took two rolls over to the vice principal's house. I think they appreciate my treats. They gave me a bunch of little snacks in return. It seemed like obligation but I think they just had extra and wanted to repay the favor. They said we should have dinner again sometime soon. It might not be incorrect to say I sometimes have ulterior motives. Occasionally you have to bribe people in life, right? Oh it's just a joke, well kind of, I think.

Breakfast is waiting for me tomorrow. All of those sweet delicious cinnamon rolls.

1 comment:

Mom said...

These swirled delights look stunning! I'm sure they tasted every bit as good as they looked. You ate 2 small ones for testing purposes? Right. I bet you ate some before they were baked. Haha!

Post a Comment