Thursday, April 9, 2015

Macau - Rua Do Lilau

I first visited this little street back in 2008 after I finished studying in Japan and took a trip to Hong Kong and Macau. At the time it didn't mean much but it was a nice area with some older Portuguese buildings. In 2011 I realized that Christy actually grew up and lived along this street. I loved it even more after that.



It is much quieter and peaceful around this area. The street nearby is one way and has vehicles thundering down it all day long but it isn't so bad compared to where I lived. My house was right next to a major thoroughfare in the northern part of Macau.



These houses have sat for years untouched. There is nothing but decay inside. How do I know? Christy and I went inside one day to explore and it was rather interesting. That will be in a follow up post. It's curious some developer hasn't bought them and built something new. I suppose they are some sort of heritage property and people would get angry if they were demolished. The inside would take thousands of dollars to restore so that's out of the question too.

I can look back fondly on these places. I just wish it hadn't been cut so short.

No comments:

Post a Comment