Monday, October 8, 2012

And It Only Took 8 Months...

Once upon a time I proclaimed that I was soon going to be making t-shirts. Soon was a huge understatement. The photo emulsion I ordered worked like Elmer's Glue, it just washed out with water and wouldn't stay in place after being exposed to light. Yeah that probably doesn't make any sense but I wasn't going to waste time trying to figure out how to use the sun. I like the flexibility of using a halogen lamp. As I sat pondering what to do about the terrible emulsion I did find another kind online. I'm glad I didn't buy it because it makes a permanent stencil. I somehow randomly caught that bit of info after looking over the same product many times. A few weeks ago I bought a kind that is more similar to what I have used before. I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.

Last week in the middle of making my second stencil my lamp broke so I had to wait once again to actually get to making a shirt. Before that I had done a test stencil that still was washing out a little too much. Oh the joyous frustration of working with new things. In the world of screen printing or silk screening there is a learning curve with any product change. I miss the access to cheaper materials back home. It's what kept me from getting into this sooner.

Today brought much better success. I was finally able to make a suitable stencil.


Bear Screen Stencil


Don't tell the North Central company I stole their design. But maybe if they didn't charge 3000 yen for a t-shirt I would be more likely to buy one. At least that is what I thought when I was in Hokkaido last winter. Sweet shirts with a price that made me want to vomit. It might be wise to open a black market and profit off cheap skates like me. I actually just wanted to make a shirt and this happened to be an easy design. If you are totally uninformed about making stencils just remember it's magic and nothing else. Yes, pure magic. Then with a few waves of your hand, some ink, and a squeegee the impossible happens. Oh the glamor of it all.


 IMG_3946


I was rather pleased given my interesting use of paper and canola oil for exposing screens. The details were pretty spot on. I think this one looked the best.


IMG_3948


I mean it looks best on me.


3 comments:

Mom said...

very much worth the wait! love it and love you! make me a "beware of the monkeys" tshirt plez!

Mom said...

I am smiling today as I look at you and your shirt. Your dream/goal of making t-shirts while in Japan has finally come true! I am so proud of you. I am also happy that you have a NEW t-shirt to wear! love you!

blaine said...

Thanks. I'll think about making a shirt for you someday. Haha.

Love you too.

Post a Comment