Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Long Way to Go

But even if that's the case, I look forward to it. I ventured into the oh so lovely city to get my roll of film developed from the Pen. I couldn't find the store along the road so I parked at a shopping center at the upper level of the car park. I figured I could walk down and find it from there. Much to my surprise it was right across the street. That worked out much better than I thought it would.

I spent a few minutes discussing with the worker how I could get my film processed. I originally wanted it developed and put on a cd so I could look at the scans but they can't do that for some reason. Might have to do with the format of the film. I know it's possible, however, to get it developed and scanned so it can be dumped on a cd. I'm not sure what their problem was and I didn't want to try to protest in Japanese. I just got the film developed and figured I would wait till I had a scanner.

Well that really wasn't going to cut it because the negatives were burning a hole in my mind. I had to see them in some form of what a picture might look like. I stopped at an electronics store and almost bought a printer/scanner combo just for this. I reeled myself in and decided I would try something else until a proper scanner could be acquired. I had no idea if this would work or not but it seemed worthwhile. Spending a few bucks just to receive a small ounce of gratification was probably worth it I thought. So I went to the dollar store and picked up some photo frames to use the glass. When I got home I sandwiched negatives between the glass panes and set up the most ridiculous looking thing to take pictures of the negatives. I had paper taped over a light and a cardboard box cut into some weird shape to hold the glass. Books were stacked up for my camera to rest on. My living room is a disaster now.

The film I used must have taken a beating over the last few years sitting in that closet. The heat probably ruined it more than anything else. So the images probably aren't a good representation of what is really capable. Plus, taking pictures of the negatives with a camera isn't such a good idea either. I was desperate. So here are a few samples to tide us all over until I shoot a new roll of film and get a scanner.


war memorial half frame


danger icho


red light but no face

I promise I'll stop buying things after this scanner.... oh but I just remembered I need a baking stone for my oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment